Monday, November 5, 2007

Rethinking the bard remake

I learned a lot in finishing Legend of Luik.
-One thing I learned above all else, is you have to actually know what Your Animating before you animate it. I hit countless roadblocks in that project due to not really know why the person was doing something, or how they even looked. The only constant in that cartoon was the music it was animated too.
-Which brings me to the next thing I learned, which is audiences don't expect or want you to use the background music as the only constant during the production of your cartoon. It is much smarter to have a planned out story structure that builds up tension responsibly and has the music work for the animation as apposed to the other way around.
-One final thing I learned is that if your doing a project that is far too big for one person, for the love of god don't try to do it all yourself. I have friends who know how to animate or write or even compose, and they probably would have been willng to help with this, and even would have done a better job. Yes I still managed to get the job done, but it took two years to do, which is terrible for a 4 minute cartoon.

So if I try applying all of these factors... I think My Remake of "The Bard's Song" might just be a worthwhile project to revive.
The first thing I'm going to do is not use "The bards Song" as the background for this song. I'm going to write out a plot containing a begining, middle and end, along with a climactic moment, and I'm going to flesh out the characters until they have as much depth as the ones in Legend of Luik.
Only after that point, when I have all the writing for the project, will I seek out people who are interested in the final product to led their talents to this work. Lord knows I need help with the character designs, and I should be able to find a way to get help with the direct animation project, even if it's just emailing someone asking for advice on how specific shots should go.



First things first, I have a Bridgette Brian and the Bunny cartoon to finish.

No comments: