Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Mythical May

One of my big Pet Peeves are these certain things that I feel do not make sense for Mythical creatures (I know they're not real, but imagination does not have to ignore biology). So for the a few of the posts in May will be dedicated to me analyzing these fantasy creatures, explaining what I think does or does not make sense about them, and then thinking up ways to anatomic anomalies.

I'm not putting this the right way, so Just take this 1st one as an example. Today we look at the Centaur.

Now the Centaur is the half man half horse connected at the Neck/waste. I can look past the Duplicate organs, but what really doesn't make sense to me is how this guy breaths.

Seriously, Horses have big noses and big nostrils, while human Noses are far smaller. Despite this not only does the centaur only have a human knows, but it has a second set of lungs and even more body mass to keep supplied with oxygen then your average horse. Unless these beasts are masters of Fermentation, or they story oxygen when needed for short physical bursts, I can't see a centaur respirating properly with that tiny nose.

My Take on solving this is Gil-like nostrils located where the horse part and the man part meet. It's kind of like a dolphin's blow hole, or something along those lines.
I also Added a top hat, because the Centaur in this picture was grumpy. He's grumpy because the top hat is too tight on him.


So there we go. It's not exactly a professional take on this stuff, but I think it should prove interesting.
Over the month we'll be looking at...
Winged humans (feathered, webbed, and jetpacked... well not jetpacked)
Mermaids
Cyclopses
and even some more recent things like Pokemon
Also, I have this great concept for Zombies I want to show you.

No comments: