Saturday, April 28, 2007

PC Month Part5: Sean's Curroption Courtasy of ASK PC

The Ask PC comic ran for a good year and a half, but unfortunate events happened in fall of 2003 that caused the tragic cancellation of the comic. The first thing that happened was the website I used as an outlet couldn't afford keep itself free and I couldn't afford to keep all my pictures there anymore. Luckily I was able to save all of my work on a CD, but...
The second thing that happened was the CD corrupted and all my archives were gone. It didn't devastate me but not having the archives of the Ask PC comic any more (save for the few that were on the hard drive) made continuing the comic rather pointless, and I was running thin as it was.

Sean and Vic didn't die that day, but they were homeless (especially after I was kicked off the site for getting on the bad side of a Uruguayan moderator who was a bit too into beyblades and Sailor moon). Luckily I had discovered Newgrounds.com earlier that year (I had been spending the whole year with grand dreams of creating the next Eskimo Bob, or Arrogancy) and my older brother had recently got his hands on Flash 7 which he was happy to let me use. Now I was going to wait a year to get used to flash before I brought Ask PC back in the game, but like my first entry, a little experimenting suddenly became a full cartoon and AskPC: Explosions are Fun was created, as well as an immediate Sequel which was uploaded on April of 2004 (the second PC month).
In hindsight, Waiting a year would have been good. With limited knowledge of things tween easings and an overuse of symbles and mask layers, This cartoon did not age well.

Tragically, though, when I finally realized how flawed my process was, I was already half way complete with AskPC three and Mockarina of time Master Quest. Both projects were simply unsalvageable, no matter how much I tried.

I put Sean and Vic back into Incubation, until I could figure out how to continue ask PC. But There was a bigger conflict in me that I hadn't even realized until today.
When Vic and Sean were first created, they were the heroes. They were fighters in a complicated world full of villains and war and monkeys.
But everytime I presented them online, they were less and less Canon to their own story. When Sean was Revived, if you remember, he was revived because of a chibi drawing of himself, and in the way that's what he still was at that point.

But I still was not sure if the world that they left behind was worth returning too. After all, the Same attitude that created their world was what created the god awful spiked hair of Sean's. In the back of my mind was the thought that After six years of working on that project it had amounted to nothing; It was just the overthought fairy tale on the foundation of a preteens fanfics. If I was going to go anywhere with that story, I had to start fast.

Vic and Sean had two paths ahead of them:
1) Throw Their world away, and Continue Ask PC with Sean and Vic as my mascots and not as heroes.
2) Or abandon Ask PC and Bring them into a world they may not have a place in anymore.

You may not understand what I mean when I say this but... I left this choice up to them. When you develop a character enough, their able to make their own choices, and Vic and Sean were able to make theirs. When I got an answer, I realized something I should have noticed in 2002 (and didn't understand until today).


Tune in tomorrow for a dramatic conclusion. As always, Feel free to ask Questions.

No comments: