Thursday, April 19, 2007

Politics and humor... use with caution

There is 2 forms of political humor: The kind that MOCKS of political tensions, and the kind that USES political Tensions.

The first kind of humor makes fun of not the issue itself, but how worked up people get over it.

The second kind of humor makes fun of only one side of the issue, which causes the audience to be polarized between those that agreed with the joke and those that did not. Thus the Quality of the joke doesn't matter, it could be unimaginative and droll but still hide behind it's ultimatum fallacy (I'm looking at you, Ebolaworld!)

I'm not the Biggest fan of the second kind, in case you didn't know. Mainly because it's Manipulative and doesn't have to rely on humor, which defeats the purpose of it's existence in the first place. It's essentially just an attention getter.


My humor is almost never political... even (especially) when I TRY to make it political:

The O'Ridley Factor
"The Screw attack Stops Here"
(Midna Malkin is filling in for Bill O'Ridley who was killed by Samus again)

This is how much I suck at Political humor. Here I think up an idea for a parody of the O'Reily Factor of all things, and all the jokes are just puns on peoples names.
Still, the "Most Ridiculous Item" joke is almost too good to pass up. If I actually put some real effort into this (maybe add the "Chevron eats a baby" story to it), I just might get somewhere.
The Spinner really was a very silly item, wasn't it?

No comments: